Monday, January 2, 2012

Our Journey Into the Creative World of Costume Design


I wanted to begin our journey into the creative world of Costume Design by telling you about something that happened to me while I was working at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

We were preparing for the very first Christmas Parade for the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.  I worked as a costumer and because of my past experience in the theatre, I was selected to be the Dresser (or Costume Assistant) for one of the guest co-hosts, Joan Lunden, who was at that time the co-host from ABC’s Good Morning America.

It was two nights before Christmas and was the “dress rehearsal” for the production team.  At 3:00 am on Main Street, I experienced one magical moment.  The night air was brisk.  The streets were still.  The Christmas lights were twinkling. For just that moment, I could feel all the wonder and excitement that begins a Christmas morning!

It’s that feeling, that magic, I experience with each opening night of a theatrical production.  All of the long hours, hard work, and sometimes anxiety seem to melt away.

I love being a Costume Designer and I hope to share with you some of that wonder, but also some of the hard work that goes into the experience of being a Costume Designer.  For prospective designers and costumers, may it useful to your journey.  For all others, may you gain insight and appreciation to the craft and enjoy that much more the costumes you see on the stage, in film, and on television.

Let’s begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your questions or comments!